Okay I thought I post a little article about my thoughts and a bit of a rant about the much talked about Spider-man Reboot. Yes you heard that right, as far as I know and this is news coming from movie news sites like comingsoon.net and SuperHeroHype that Sony is indeed going to reboot the much-loved (and some hated) Spider-man series.
Now here is where I have a big problem with this. First off, granted I hated Spider-man 3. Yes I thought Venom was cool in design and the idea could have worked if they gave it more of a chance to come out on-screen. I think bring in the character, having him become Venom and killing him off all in less than a 2 hour window is lame. I blame Rami and I blame the fans for what happen with Spider-man 3. But this isn’t about what I think of Spider-man 3, this is about them, the people who are making or where making Spider-man 4 are going back and redoing what in my own opinion doesn’t need to be redone.
Here is why, unlike most comic book movies, even know the first Spider-man movie has flaws, it’s a good movie and I have no problem watching it again. I can see 15 or 20 years from now, doing a reboot. For most people will not remember the movie and it would be seen as a classic. But Spider-man came out in what 2002? It’s 2010.. that only 8 years and they are pushing for this “reboot” to come in 2012. What? Yeah you heard that right.
“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three ‘Spider-Man’ films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter’s roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment. Source: http://superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8976
Okay now that I think about this Batman got a reboot with Batman Begins and so far we got two strong and solid movies. But you have to look at the history there. Batman came on in the late 80s and for what it was and time was a solid movie. Batman Returns was very dark and I think while not as good, was still solid and a classic. Then people like to ruin things and moms who have nothing better to do bu complain about something is too much for their children (Don’t get me started on that crap) got the next one Batman Forever tone down to the point it was more silly and as a result we lost the cast and most of the crew and that lead to an even more water down version in Batman and Robin which was a joke of a film.
My point is this; Batman started out good and was drove right into the ground with four films, so a reboot was the only thing really left that they could do. But Spider-man? We have Spider-man which is a great film, we have Spider-man 2 which is a bit better but still had flaws, but it’s a movie and I can over look some of the silly stuff they didn’t have to do, like linking people who don’t need to be linked and silly dancing. But Spider-man 3, no matter how bad the crying was, the repeated same love story, the same boring I love you so much and the even less Spider-man, boring Sandman back story or lack of one, reasons and even screen time and the every chop to death Venom story, death it was no way a series killer like Batman and Robin was for Batman.
Why reboot something that clearly is working, I mean sure I think they need to replace a few people and get some things right, no more crying, no more dancing, leave the stupid mask on and please make Spider-man a wise cracker again and give us some action and no more linking Spider-man to the main bad guy. Whatever happen to bad guys just being bad because they can?
The reason for this reboot is I think two reasons, Rami has too much of a vision of what he wants, and Sony knows if he is allowed to do another one it’ll have more of what we saw, some of the rumors for Spider-man 4 wasn’t looking too good. But those are rumors and who cares until a trailer hits anyways. But the main two reasons are this:
1. Disney owns Marvel now, which Sony has to keep putting out Spider-man content or they rights to the character would go back to Marvel and well we know how that would go, we get some really crazy cross overs and a real good Spider-man story for once. Granted Iron Man 2 and Thor could suck badly, but it’s Marvel, they created these characters so whatever version of the story they go with I wont pick at as much as I would if someone is doing something because it’s the “it” factor in movies today. They couldn’t get a Spider-man 4 done, so a reboot is the only way Sony can keep the rights.
2. Twilight sucks! Yes.. if you read the news post I linked too, you’ll see there are hints to Sony wants to reboot it with the same style that Twilight was done in terms of teen drama. Being that seems to be the in factor now because that movie has made so much money. No.. all the crazy fan girls went two different groups of people. Comic book nerds go to see Comic book movies and silly movies about Vampires who don’t act like real vampires are seen by fan girls who drag their boyfriends (who only go because they want to get laid).
In either case bad move on Sony’s part, they could have made a Spider-man 4 and made it better than 3 at least, and so what if it goes back to Marvel, they own it anyways and would do better for the fans if it did. But I forget this is about making money and so screw that stuff. Sony is starting to sound like FOX now which I have a down right hate for right now when what they did to Dragonball.
Latest posts by The NU (see all)
- Just An Update - March 12, 2019
- DBZMaji – Vegetas Anger [Fight Club Champion] #1 - October 6, 2016
- Danny Poo – Set Aside The Pride [Fight Club Champion] #3 - October 6, 2016